Monday, October 6, 2008

Stanley


"Stanley", 2008,
SOLD

One of my favourite plays is, Tennessee Williams, "A Streetcar named desire" and one day when I was out hunting for images, I found this man leaning out of the Central Hotel in Port Adelaide. I'm sure his name is Stanley Kowalski and would at any minute scream out...S T E L L A! It all seemed pure poetry to me, a man enjoying a cigarette at the end of a hard days' work, with the warm winter sun on his body. Even the curtain has the tree of life pattern motif on it, and as it happened, I had the same pattern but in wallpaper on the walls of my bedroom as a teenage girl.

8 comments:

Daniel Sanger said...

Oh I like this Dianne - very introspective and great colours. He looks so alone..

A Reason to Paint said...

This is a really cool painting Dianne - love the story that goes with it!

This Painting Life said...

Thanks Daniel and AR2P, it was such a great image and by pure chance that I was there to see him.

Pierre Raby said...

Beautiful post Dianne. The wall is so huge around him this reinforce his vulnerability. He looks like a little bird in a cage, but the door is opened.
-Pierre

m collier said...

Wonderful piece – such a bold design.

This Painting Life said...

Thanks Pierre and M for your kind compliments.

Takeyce said...

What a neat composition! Beautiful!

Unknown said...

I love the warmth of the red, like he's sticking his head out to cool himself from your painting